MTC, located in and serving Moundville, AL and the surrounding area, was founded in 1932 by Richard Hobson Corr and his wife, Kathleen South Corr, when the two purchased the existing company, consisting of some 40 drops and a switchboard. Prior to coming to Moundville, the Corrs operated a phone company in Caledonia, MS. In the early days of the company, the switchboard was located in the old hotel downtown. Shortly after the Corrs acquired the existing telephone service, the switchboard was moved to the Corr’s home, still located adjacent to the current downtown business office. Mrs. Corr ran the switchboard while Mr. Corr handled the outside plant maintenance.
Mr. Corr’s two brothers, Hillard and Clayton, were also in the telephone business. Hillard operated the company in Athens, AL while Clayton ran the company in Linden, AL before moving to Oneonta, AL, where he also operated the local phone company. Until just recently, Clayton’s son, R.C.”Corky” Corr Jr. owned that same company, now known as Otelco.
MTC’s first major construction project came in 1975 when the existing Central Office building was constructed to house the switching equipment, which was previously located in the business office downtown. Prior to the start of this project, the Company underwent its first executive hiring since the Company was founded. Larry P. Taylor, of Greensboro, and husband of the Corr’s only child, Patricia, was named Vice President and General Manager. Mr. Taylor served in this capacity until the fall of 2013 when he retired after 40 years. He continues serving as a Director. The Taylor’s son, Scott, then assumed the leadership role and still serves as the company’s President and GM.
MTC continues to invest it’s time and resources to ensure it’s customers are provided with the best telecommunications service available.